Carpool Share Platform
UX / Product Design
Problem Solving / Suggest Alternative
Designed for Economical Commute
76.3% drive commuters were drove alone and even now many commuter drivers are wasting their time on a lot of traffic.
It also wastes a lot of natural resources, resulting in many environmental destruction effects.
Proficiency: UX/UI Design, UX Research, Visual Design, Interaction Design, Mobile Design, Behavioral Design
Design user matching platform and communication methods between drivers and riders. The drivers pick riders, riders pick drivers. Also, carless commuter can use car share service with who work close to my office area without waiting time.
Vehicle sharing services are already popular. Also, many carpool services are already in use. However, none of the applications meet the users needs, and the commuters are still inconvenienced because of the uncomfortable usability. Consequently, I believe it is important to first understand:
Time: Adjustment pick up, drop time
Location: Adjustment pick up, drop location
Communication: Driver, Rider
Pay system: Confirmation system, Credit system
Matching Method: Shortest Distance, Shortest time
HOW TO COMMUTE BETTER?
What carless commuters were needs?
Why driver commuter, drove car alone?
How did the problem get brought up?
What is the pain point (problem)?
PROBLEM / GOAL
All commuters are very important to arrive their work within a certain period of time.
Commuter leave home earlier because of traffic congestion.
Commuter always desire low monthly commute fare.
CONSTRAINTS / TECHNOLOGY
- Actual operation did not determine the real traffic flow.
- The fare, refund, payment system is not real value
- Uses a car sharing platform service such as Uber, Lyft, or other individual drivers.
- Exercise one´s common sense of GPS functionality and map applications.
- High tech of calculating route, effective time path algorithm
"I am a Designer in silicone valley without a car. So every morning I commute to the company with take an Uber or bicycle. Then I was in a big accident, hurt my wrist.
So, I commute with Uber every day...
I am so stressful with monthly commute fare. It was a casual meeting. I met another Indian female engineer, who work in 2 mile away from my office area, also she was my neighbor.
What if many other commuter share car with neighbor for less traffic hour. Because, I saw other commuters who are driving alone on the highway.
Q. Investigation of drivers inconvenience
What time is your working (Uber driver) hours?
How feel Uber pool service and working well?
How was riders location?
Do you felt some pattern in specific route or time zone?
How often Uber pool riders ride alone?
What is rate of Uber X rider in commute hours?
Q. Investigation of commuters inconvenience
How to commute usually?
How long waiting for Uber pool service request?
Is it okay to walk a short distance every morning?
How much do you spend for commute in a month?
Do you think that reasonable?
What time do you leave from home, work place?
Request car share service at a certain time?
COMMUTE APP USABILITY
Low Communication / Unbalance Users Rate
Bad Users Reviews / Limited Service Area
People have moving patterns, such as commute, weekends, and personal periodic time schedule; there are usually moving time zones. Therefore, much commuter spends a lot of time on the road.
There is also a function in Uber, Lyft, and Waze car pool to get group or share car to commute. But, it is inconvenient to communicate with drivers and riders, and the matching rate is lowered.
The solution must meet the requirements of users such as:
Simple connection to the services
Easy-to-use and high reliability
Idea 1: Route Determination
Driver and rider communicate of pickup and drop for safety and effectively.
- It is hard to find riders in the area meet.
- Decide where to pick up when applying for a ride (can be modified)
Idea 2: Time Setting
Which can reduce traffic during commute times by distributing the flow to the vehicle.
- Increase number of pick-ups and more distance to destination, it will take more driving time.
- The commuters must arrive at the company at the appointed time.
- Drivers leave home earlier because of traffic congestion expect .
Idea 3: Communication between Users
- User will save money to share car with other commuters
- The pick-up and drop-off positions are determined in low traffic and place to stop easily.
- Drivers or rider present specific locations and directions to easily find riders.
Idea 4: Matching (User sorting)
- Getting group with neighbor to commute together.
- User pick up point will calculate by distance / walking time to location.
SKETCHING A SOLUTION
USER FLOW [Wireframes]
DESIGN SYSTEMS (RULE)
FINAL PRODUCT DESIGN
I was great learning experience of the user experienced analysis and design process. As this project, If the vehicle is reduced and traffic congestion improves, people no longer have to spend a lot of time on the commute, and if they use vehicle-sharing services, they can commute cheaper and easier.